justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

07 Honda element 2.4 crank no start. has injector pulse but,

07 Honda element 2.4 crank no start. has injector pulse but, no spark at any coil. Has rpm signal when cranking so I'm assuming good crank sensor. Does the cam sensor control spark?

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, Chad.

Hey how are you

You welcome '

the CKP Crank shaft position sensor and The Cam shaft position sensor .

The ckp sensor will be the most common problem causing the no spark but the we usually changes both sensors at same time since they work with each others and report back to ECM for timing

I sent you the location of the CKP sensor

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

2 cam sensor on these engine

Good luck

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm doing alright, thanks for asking.I appreciate the help. Normally when I see a bad crank sensor it cuts injector pulse and spark signal. I'm wondering if a cam sensor can cut the spark signal while there is still injector pulse, or if I should be looking in another direction.

yes it can ,because the ecm will not pulse the injectors if it does not see neither signal cam & ckp , 90 % the ckp is the problem or the wiring on the ckp and the way it is routed .

i m not saying that is the problem here ,testing will be needed , i will pull the ckp sensor and ohm it out & compare with a know good one

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure if you or I typed wrong.I work on several different makes. Every vehicle I've worked on in the past, if the ckp signal is missing, there is no rpm signal, no spark signal, and no injector pulse. I'm familiar with the test procedures, and I've found that ohming out sensors is the last reliable method of testing them.I'm asking if on this particular model/ecm, is it possible that a failed cam sensor will prevent spark signal, but allow injector pulse?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Least*

i agree the ohm is a weak procedure , hooking up a scope and observe on the ckp signal & compare with a good signal be best .

I believe it does on the cam sensor at least that is what i know .

I will opt out of the question , i can not acess my system , i m driving and on my iphone I cant look up the wiring diagram to confirm it and it will be late until i m back home at my desktop to double check for you .

another expert will pick up the question and help you further on it and answer that question to be sure

sorry good luck to you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Right on man. That works for me. Drive safely!

My name is***** you still needing assistance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Justin, can you see the thread? I'd just like a confirmation on what Chad said.

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

Sorry I'm just responding back. I was quite busy yesterday. I'd rather not confirm what Chad has said, but rather give you my take. I have been working on ONLY Honda/Acura vehicles for 10 years so I know the brand well. I can tell you that me, or any other of the 5 technicians in my shop have ever replaced a Crank sensor on this model. It's rare to see a faulty crank sensor. I suggest that the timing is off. I would remove the valve cover and line the cam shafts up at TDC, then check the crank pulley mark. On these engines it is very common for the timing chain to stretch resulting in the timing getting off. This usually happens due to infrequent oil changes, but not always. Sometimes the stretching just happens. If you have any questions about timing mark locations or anything else just let me know.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The issue I have is a lack of spark at any coil. I'm pretty sure they'd still be firing if the timing was off, just at the wrong time. I'm wondering specifically which sensor sends the signal to the ecu to fire the coils.

I am telling you from experience that if the timing is off the coils won't fire. If I were you, before I spent a ton of time I would zip off the valve cover and check timing. You may save yourself some time and energy. If the timing is correct let me know and I can help you determine what else might be going on. As I said, I only work on these cars so I have much experience with the brand. I service these vehicles 5 days a week.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh! ok. Right on man. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, for some reason the rating button is turned off. I'll give you 5 stars as soon as can.

Any news here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't had a chance to get back to that car. Thank you for the advice though. I'll let you know what happens.

any news? Please remember to rate as I have not been paid and won't be until I receive a positive rating. Thanks

justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.