Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Yesterday, my 2009 Pilot Touring's GPS system would go out

Customer Question

Yesterday, my 2009 Pilot Touring's GPS system would go out and then reset it self. At the same time and while driving, there was a shudder from the engine.
Are the two related? What's happening?
Thank you!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

They are most likely related. I have seen a fairly high failure rate with Honda V6 alternators. It seems unrelated but it can cause both of your problems. The alternator voltage regulator intermittently fails without any warning lights. As the system voltage drops the NAV and/or audio systems seem shut down first. It can be accompanied by a wide variety of electrical anomalies including engine problems. The engine control unit also can fail to work without enough power. This can cause a wide variety of weird electrical problems. it's a hard one for most shops to fix because it's intermittent. They will check the alternator etc and give it a good bill of health unless it acts up during the test. I have over 20 years Honda only plus another 10 plus years on all makes and models. In the shop and here online I see this quite often.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff