HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Had a p1457 on my 2003 Honda CRV, saw a video and cleaned

Customer Question

Had a p1457 on my 2003 Honda CRV, saw a video and cleaned the vapor canister shutoff valve and then got a p1456 code for small leak. Since it changed from a large leak to a small one, I replaced it, still got p1456. Then I replaced other solenoid valve, I think its called the purge valve, still get the code.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: I replaced several of the hoses too. Im thinking maybe some sand got sucked into the system.My son took the car to the beach and it bottomed out and knocked the whole evap canister and stuff off it's rubber mounts and one of the hoses was off.
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already told you what was changed. Is this a script running?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  david craig replied 15 days ago.

Hi Im David and thanks for visiting the site. chance are a plastic evap line got damaged and unfortunately the only way to find the leak if it not visible is to have a smoke test done on the evap system.

Expert:  david craig replied 13 days ago.

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'll be doing a smoke test this weekend and I'll follow up if nothing is leaking.

ok bud thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Did a smoke test with a homemade smoke device and didn't see any leaks. Then pulled about 20in vacuum on the lines and nothing put very slow loss of vacuum which was probably at the connections. Took off what looks like a solenoid valve at the intake manifold and sand came out. Wow.. Quite a bit, so I blew out the line to the canister and towards the solenoid valve where it meets the valve at the intake. It appears like the solenoid valve is fine when I try to suck through it. I'm afraid I may have sucked sand right into the manifold so I'm going to change my oil today. Should I activate the solenoid valve and blow though it? is it 12V? What else would you suggest?
Expert:  david craig replied 11 days ago.

yes, do that

Expert:  david craig replied 10 days ago.

any luck?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I blew through the solenoid several times and changed my oil, then reset the codes. I will not know if it's fixed until 10/19 since it takes about an hour of driving back and forth to work.
Expert:  david craig replied 9 days ago.

ok. keep me posted

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well, 2 P1456 codes are back! What do you suggest? I have already tried the gas cap several days ago before I cleaned out the sand from the line going into the intake manifold. Solenoid there works fine also.
Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

Missing Fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP purge control solenoid - EVAP canister - Fuel tank pressure sensor

Troubleshooting DTC P1456 (EVAP system leakage [fuel tank system]) Pinch off all the hoses between the fuel filler neck and the fuel tank, and retest. If the leak stops, replace the fuel fill cap first. If you’ve still got the leak after replacing the fuel fill cap, then replace the fuel filler pipe. There’s an O-ring between the plastic and threaded part of the filler neck that may be leaking.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do I tell the hoses running between the filler neck and the fuel tank? Do I have to drop the fuel tank?

unfortunately yes. chances are anyways, the problem is going to be on top of the tank

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can you give me a description on dropping the gas tank for my CRV? I have found the access to the fuel pump under the rear seat. I've looked on some honda forums and haven't found anything specific to getting access to the top by dropping the tank.
Expert:  david craig replied 4 days ago.

ok. allow me a few moment to get you those instructions. thanks.

i cant find any instruction on removing the tank. let me keep looking.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Before I drop the tank, can you provide which lines I should pinch going to the fuel filler neck and tank to rule that out without removing the gas tank?

sure, let me work on getting a diagram of the top of the tank to point out the vent hose and pressure hose for you.

Expert:  david craig replied 3 days ago.

ok. up under the vehicle, on the side that the filler tube is there is a vent tube. its metal but turns into a rubber hose. thats what needs to be pinched off. ive circled the areas where the rubber hoses go.