Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Honda odyssey 2002, I just replaced the fuel pump, was

Customer Question

honda odyssey 2002, I just replaced the fuel pump, was running well for a week, now it does the same thing, car runs for a wile, then stalls, I wait for 15 min and the car starts again and runs for another few minutes and then stalls again...
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: yes engine light on
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: stalls when driving yes fixed myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: have not tried anything else will look at relay switch tomorrow,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

When it stalls do the dash lights stay on or go off like the ignition was turned off? Ever not start after sitting on a warm day or in the sun? Or does it just stall when driving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
dash lights stay on, starts every time after a waiting for 5 or 10 min, stalls when driving.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply and information. Since this is a fairly complicated problem I will give you the likely causes based on my experience. 30 plus years working on Honda's.

The main relay usually(90%) won't cause a stalling issue. It usually causes a no start more so if the interior of the van is warm. The relay circuit board cracks or the solder joints fail, interior heat makes it worse. It will start with no starts then over time get bad enough to stall. Ignition switch contact failure is a very common cause of stalling. There have been many Honda recalls for this problem. It usually is OK when cold or first started. It will start stalling after the electrical contacts get warm. It's just the electrical portion that fails not the lock-key cylinder assembly. Try wiggling the key once it's warmed up to see if you can get it to shut off. It should feel like a definite click not just shut off easily. Last common issue for the V6 engines is a bad alternator. They quit charging without a warning light. Once the electrical system voltage drops low enough the ECU can't function so it stalls. In some cases the battery is good enough to work the starter but not start until it sits. The battery can recover enough for it to start.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Ignition switch failure usually causes it to stall restart but die immediately once the key is released. Holding the key slightly toward the start position should make it keep running. I doubt the fuel pump is bad since it is acting up again. If the switch checks good and the alternator checks out then I would try the relay. If you have any questions or need any instructions pleas don't hesitate to ask.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for this good info, I will keep you posted.Thanks againAndres
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Please do I would like to hear the outcome or help more if needed.

Thank you,

~Cliff

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

~Cliff