Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2005 honda accord automatic v6. For a few months it

Customer Question

I have a 2005 honda accord automatic v6. For a few months it had a short, maybe a one second delay going into first. About a week ago I took a couple hour car ride and it started to shift hard after then. Over the week it has slowly gotten worse and now it has started to have issues while driving shifting through gears and on occasion feels like it goes out of gear completely and will just rev. Is there something outside of a new transmission that could be the issue?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Have you had a code scan done? do you have any transmission related codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we have 4 codes. ABS 61-1, P0741 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance or stuck off, another PO741 code torque converter clutch stuck off, and an 83-1 engine control module/powertrain control module relation malfunction.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

DTC P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Hydraulic Circuit Stuck OFF

NOTE: Record all freeze data and review General Troubleshooting Information (see GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION ) before you troubleshoot.

1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).
  2. Make sure that the transmission is filled to the proper level, and check for fluid leaks.
  3. Drain the ATF (see step 3 ) through a strainer. Inspect the strainer for metal debris or excessive clutch material.

Does the strainer contain metal debris or excessive clutch material?

1. YES - Replace the transmission.
    2. NO - Replace the ATF (see step 4 ), then go to step 4.
  4. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  5. Choose Shift Solenoid E in Miscellaneous Test Menu, and check that the shift solenoid valve E operates with the HDS.

Is a clicking sound heard?

1. YES - Go to step 6.
    2. NO - Replace shift solenoid valve E (see SHIFT SOLENOID VALVE REPLACEMENT ), then go to step 10.
  6. Run the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches 176 °F (80 °C).
  7. Choose Clutch Pressure Control (Linear) Solenoid A in Miscellaneous Test Menu, and test the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A with the HDS.

Is the system OK?

1. YES - Go to step 8.
    2. NO - Follow instructions indicated on the HDS by the test result. Go to step 10 if any part was replaced.
  8. Test-drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) for 2 minutes while monitoring the vehicle speed with the HDS.
  9. Monitor the OBD status for P0741 in the DTCs/Freeze Data in A/T Mode Menu for a pass/fail.

Does the result indicate FAILED?

1. YES - Faulty torque converter mechanism, torque converter clutch hydraulic circuit, lock-up shift valve, or lock-up control valve, or replace the transmission.
    2. NO - Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. If the tester indicates NOT COMPLETED, return to step 8 and recheck.
  10. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  11. Test-drive the vehicle for several minutes under the same conditions as those indicated by the freeze data.
  12. Monitor the OBD status for P0741 in the DTCs/Freeze Data in A/T Mode Menu for a pass/fail.

Does the result indicate PASSED?

1. YES - Troubleshooting is complete.
    2. NO - Return to step 5 and recheck.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks