HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 2006 honda civic hybrid. Code PO401 came up.

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

DTC P0401: EGR Insufficient Flow NOTE: Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information. 1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). 2. Clear the DTC with the HDS. 3. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle. 4. Do the EGR TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS. Is the result OK? YES - Go to step 5. NO - Go to step 7. 5. Test-drive under these conditions: - ECT SENSOR 1 above 158 degree F (70 degree C) - Transmission in D position - Drive the vehicle at a steady speed between 55 - 75 mph (88 - 120 km/h) - During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. 6. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0401 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate FAILED? YES - Clean the intake manifold EGR port with throttle plate and induction cleaner. Also, clean the passage inside the EGR valve with throttle plate and induction cleaner, then go to step 9. NO - If the screen indicates PASSED, intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EGR valve and the PCM. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION, go to step 5 and recheck. 7. Turn the ignition switch OFF. 8. Replace the EGR valve. 9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II). 10. Reset the PCM with the HDS. 11. Do the PCM idle learn procedure. 12. Test-drive under these conditions: - ECT SENSOR 1 above 158 degree F (70 degree C) - Transmission in D position - Drive the vehicle at a steady speed between 55 - 75 mph (88 - 120 km/h) - During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. 13. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P0401 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EGR valve and the PCM. If the connections are OK, go to step 15. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Go to step 14. 14. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0401 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate PASSED? YES - Troubleshooting is complete. NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION, go to step 12 and recheck. 15. Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM. 16. Test-drive under these conditions: - ECT SENSOR 1 above 158 degree F (70 degree C) - Transmission in D position - Drive the vehicle at a steady speed between 55 - 75mph (88 - 120km/h) - During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. 17. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Is DTC P0401 indicated? YES - Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EGR valve and the PCM. If the PCM was updated, substitute a known-good PCM, then go to step 16. If the PCM was substituted, go to step 1. NO - If no Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to step 18. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. 18. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0401 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate PASSED? YES - If the PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM. NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EGR valve and the PCM, If the PCM was updated, substitute a known-good PCM, then go to step 16. If the PCM was substituted, go to step 1. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION, go to step 16 and recheck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did steps 1 and 2. With step 3 I rev the engine to 3000 RPM for ten minutes. I can not hear the fan, though. I assume ten minutes is fine, no? I do not have HDS, I have a centech OBD2 scan tool, which works for this purpose.