Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I changed the battery in the car at Walmart, and now the car

Customer Question

I changed the battery in the car at Walmart, and now the car will turn over but not crank.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 honda accord
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, the guys at Walmart said they couldn't help me with anything after putting the battery in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, exceot the lights work, the horn and all things work, but it just won't crank
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

When you turn the key to the start position the engine cranks, then starts.

Is you concern it will not crank or it will crank but not start?

Is the theft light on or flashing with the key on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The lights work, and it sounds like it wants to start, but it will not crank. no lights are flashing

So you hold the key in the start position the engine does nothing, it does not make a sound, no crank?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it acts like it is out of gas, but i put gas in it and that didn't work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it turns over, but just grinds, will not start

Since the engine will not crank, it will not spin, but you are getting a grind noise from the starter. This means the starter is bad or has poor connections or the flywheel has a couple broken teeth. You can try pounding on the starter case a little using something like a hammer handle. You can ty rotating the engine by turning the pulleys a little. Try that and let me know the results.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, I don't think it is the starter because it will turn over and over and over, it just won't make the connection to start

So now the car will crank but not start and the starter is not grinding.

It is hard to tell with the way your wording things.

• the car will turn over but not crank.
  • but it just won't crank
  • sounds like it wants to start, but it will not crank
  • acts like it is out of gas
  • it turns over, but just grinds, will not start

For a crank no start situation and you mentioned there is not a theft light issue. That means you need to confirm there is good fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse. If those are fine then you need to confirm the compression is good and there is not an aftermarket immobilizer on the vehicle that defaulted to activated when you disconnected the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
before i put the battery in, the car would crank and sometimes i would have to boost it from another car, but it would always crank when i put the battery cable to it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't even know what an aftermarket immobilizer is

Are you able to check the other things I mentioned to see what is is your car is not making so that is will start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it is 10:00 at night. I will have someone check it Monday, since the hurricane is coming in tomorrow.

Is there anything else on this concern you feel I could offer tonight so you would be pleased with my help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, thank you

Your welcome.