Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Last night timing belt broke, it broke so I need to replace

Customer Question

last night timing belt broke
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: it broke so I need to replace it
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 91 civic 1.5l
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am doing it my self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to know if it a non interference motor
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

All Honda engines can bend valves when the belt breaks. Honda engineering dept. told me once all Honda engines are interference engines. Manual trans vehicles are more prone than automatics. This is because manual trans vehicles in gear with the clutch out will keep the engine spinning until the clutch is depressed. Automatics just die less time for the pistons to hit valves.

Just to make you fell a little better your 1.5 engine usually does not bend valves. It's easy to check, pull the valve cover and feel the cam followers. If any are really loose the valve on that cylinder is bent. You can rotate the cam and check the clearance too. Any loose ones are probably bent. The last way to check is to put a new belt on and fire it up. After that compression testing will verify if any valves are slightly bent. I have seen engines fire up run for a while(days or weeks) then have a weakened valve head snap off and toast the engine. If you want the valve clearance inspection or timing belt replacement instructions from the service manual just ask.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff