eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase technician
6149662

2004 honda civic natural gas died engine wont turn over and

Customer Question

2004 honda civic natural gas died engine wont turn over and red oil light came on ... i was 3k miles over the recommended interval for oil change but no warning light came on
Category: Honda
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

was it making any odd noises?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no odd noises but it has 220k miles on it or so ... i need to see if this is going to a major job and either junk the vehicle or repair the vehicle. if i try to turn on the vehicle nothing happens at the moment.
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

have you tried a jump start? is there any oil on the dipstick?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just a little bit of oil on the dipstick - i have not yet tried a jumpstart - the vehicle was driving fine and then just died. the lights and door locks all work but i have not tried jump starting the vehicle yet
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

it died while driving?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was driving home and then the red oil lamp light came on and the vehicle died and i managed to steer towards side of the street to park
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

sounds like the motor may have locked up....does the starter click or anything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am not near the vehicle at the moment - i think it might click when i tried it yesterday and i can check ... what other tests can i try myself to diagnose? if i take it to a shop tomorrow - is there anything i can have them review specifically?
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

well they need to determine if the motor is locked up or not or if its a electrical issue....if its electrical it should be a easy fix...if the motor is locked up repair will likley exceed value

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there anything i can try to see if its electrical vs. a locked up motor before i take it into a shop? I am afraid it might be a locked up engine and then the vehicle wont be worth repairing.
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

try a jump start first.... if you have tools you can put a socket on the crank pulley to see if the motor will rotate with a ratchet..it should ,,

Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last questions and sorry for delay. I towed the car back to my home and ended up purchasing a new car. I still do want to try to salvage this car.If I call a mobile mechanic will they be able to fully diagnose this issue or will I have to take to a shop? For the mobile mechanic - I don't intend to fix it but to find out how severe the damage is.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 month ago.

a mobile mechanic should be able to diagnose, i would just put it on craigslist as a mechanics special