HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Honda Tech, 1998 Honda Accord V6 3Litre. The car is running

Customer Question

Honda Tech,
1998 Honda Accord V6 3Litre. The car is running on 3 cylinders. We have changed the valve cover gaskets, the intake manifold gasket, the distributor cap abd rotor, and put in 6 new plugs. The car started, but idles violently. I double checked the ignition wire connection to the distributor, it's good. i pulled out plugs 1,2,3 - there is an abnormal black carbon build up for new plugs. I pulled out plugs 4,5,6, all are still as if new, appeared to have not fired. Checked the spark to 4,5,6, and they are receiving spark.
How do I fix this? I checked the trouble codes and received "no enhanced DTC's are presently stored in vehicle computer" What does this mean.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 25 days ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you.

I need to ask some questions

has a compression test been done ?

have you done you a fuel pressure test yer ?

can you tell me how all this started ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No pressure test done. Have not checked fuel pressure. The car was running fine before this minor maintenance occurred. As outlined in explanation, typical maintenance, changed leaking gaskets. intake manifold was only 80% disconnected/throttle cables not removed, pulled off pulled off the engine, and flipped over towards battery area to clean old gasket off. did not touch anything to do with the injectors. put it back together and it did not run right.

ok so after the valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets this all starter correct

did you unplug the fuel injectors ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
went to change the valve cover gasket due to leakage, had to take the intake manifold off to do so. the relative gaskets were changed, installed new plugs, distributor caps and rotor, sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body as it was accessible, put it all back together - the car starts right away but only the rear 1.2.3. appear to be firing, 4. 5. and 6 are still clean, double checked for spark on 4, 5, & 6, and the spark is okay.

ok can you tell me if the fuel injectors were unplugged ?

cause the fact your plugs front 3 plugs are not getting fuel.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
they were not unplugged. don't understand the second part. looking in the Honda manual, aren't both fuel rails supplied by the same line?

yes their is a intake line and a return line.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
what are you suggesting? check the fuel pressure. clarify the front 3 plugs...4,5, & 6 are not getting fuel?

the intake gasket was it installed the correct direction.

I asking these questions so I can see what was left off or installed incorrectly.

the plug wires are seated all the way in the head ?

whats the plug gap ? should be 1.1mm

I personally would remove the intake and double check that the gasket is installed in the correct direction.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i double checked the intake gasket. there is only one way to put it on. yues the plug wires are seated all the way in the head. the plug gap was set within specs 1.0mm
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i was considering that option and will have to do it to double check. have you any other suggestions...

ok 1.1 mm should be spec.

but that wont cause a issue.

other them a possible bad rotor or cap I don't see much other then something been unplugged or installed wrong.

all the hoses were hooked back up ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
all the connections have been rechecked. i will have to take the intake off to triple check the gasket. the cap and rotors are all good, nothing wrong with them and getting spark from the cap. Ok, so no option than to take the intake off.

not that I can think of off hand.

now to make sure we are talking about the correct cylinders the front back 4/5/6 are the issue cylinders ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
4/5/6/ are the front bank - the ones that are facing the front of the vehicle. not the firewall.

correct just making sure,

thank you for that info

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your help and expertise. Wish us luck

I would start by double checking the intake I have a hunch their lye's the issue,

also double check to make sure nothing came unplugged .

but since the plugs are clean this tells me their is no fuel so I would be looking at them

Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 23 days ago.

how'd this fair ?

anything stick out that might be a concern ?