HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Navi screen suddenly stopped working. Says check disc. I

Customer Question

Navi screen suddenly stopped working. Says check disc. I opened the disc and looked at it. Looks like a normal cd. Any suggestions?
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2005 Odessey
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just took out disk and put back in. Yes I'm trying to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Did the disc error message coincide with a hard bump or pot hole or anything?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No no hard bumps or pot holes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already paid so no I don't want to pay more because I haven't gotten an answer yet
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The phone call request is automated. That doesn't come from me. It pops up if there has been more than a few hours since your response- it assumes you maybe more comfortable communicating via phone.

In this case it has been 3 months.

Did you still need help with this? I never received a reply from you back in September so I assumed you had given up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still need a reply. We had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew then we had a death in the family and time just snowballed away. Still same symptoms so yes still a problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you give me an answer?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

You most likely have a faulty navigation module. If you have already removed the disc and cleaned it and then reinstalled it and are still getting the check disc error then the laser reader (just like any other DVD or CD drive) has likely failed.

You might try resetting the system by disconnecting the battery for about 30 min and then hooking it back up, but you will want to have your unlock code handy of the radio and navigation will be locked out indefinitely. This unlock code is normally somewhere in your owner's manual or on a sticker in your glovebox. I don't have a ton of confidence that this will work; it's more likely that the navigation unit has failed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'll try that and get back with you a little later
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so battery disconnected over an hour. Just reconnected it and same message on navi screen: please wait now downloading software
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now message says: please check your disc.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Opened disc player, cleaned disc, reinserted it. Message as above.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the laser isn't able to read the disc. It could be that the disc is bad, but then again how often do DVDs just go bad?

It's most likely a problem with the laser. You could try using an electronics cleaning spray, if the unit is bad it can't hurt, but I doubt it's just dirty since the disk stays in there all the time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how can the problem "laser reader" be fixed?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The whole unit will most likely need to be replaced or repaired. There are a couple of companies on ebay that advertise repair service (you remove the unit from the van, send it to them, they fix it, and then send it back). I've never used one, but a few have good reviews. You could also attempt to diassasemble the drive and clean it with a q-tip and alcohol.

The dealer is going to want $1000+ replace the whole unit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so tomorrow I will remove the DVD and try to clean it. I don't need the navi system but by it not working, I can't control my sound, set my clock, etc.