GDibs
GDibs, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master and L1 Tecnician
95771102

Man my 04 HONDA element has the key light flash slowly when

Customer Question

Hey man my 04 HONDA element has the green key light flash slowly when I try to turn the key over. There is no noise from the starter. Just a clicking when I'm trying to turn it over. I just replaced the starter not a month ago.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My wife also said that the last time it started it made a weird noise. She said it didn't sound like metal on metal. Like something in a drawer dumbled. Then she turned it right back on and the issue above happens now.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

have you tried jump starting it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't think to, I just bought a new battery. And all the interior lights come on when I try to use them.
And all the dash lights when I first turn the key over.
I can still try it if you think it's worth a shot.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

it seems as though you have an immobilizer system issue as that will make the green key light flash when you turn the ignition switch to the on position, however, the immobilizer system should not keep it from cranking over

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

are you equipped to do some testing on the starting system?

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

it is possible you got a faulty starter for it. if it isn't a weak battery I would test for voltage to the starter solenoid while holding the key in the start position but that would require at least a test light for checking it. Or, if you had a jumper wire you could jump battery voltage straight to the starter solenoid wire and see if it turns over, if not, then possible bad starter or battery cable connections

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

I have to take off for awhile but I will check back in later,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for now. My wife's dad has all the tools to check. I'll try to get him to help Sunday.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

ok I will check back for your reponse

thanks and good luck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Question, is there a secondary relay between the battery and the starter?
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

automatic transmission or manual?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Auto
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

there is a starter cut relay plugged on to the dash fuse box

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If that module was bad would we still here the click?
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

where do you hear the click?

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

here is the relay location

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

is that where you hear the click or is the click from the starter?

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

if the click was from the starter I would say that you must have had power to the starter solenoid when in the crank position

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are two noises. A sort of chattery squeek near the steering column. And a solid click near the starter.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

here is the diagram

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

it is starting to sound like you have a bad starter or bad connection at the battery cables

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We checked the large battery cable at the battery it looked good.
We checked the voltage at the starter and couldn't find the voltage.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

can you test for power at the starter 1 wire solenoid connector in this picture

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

did you test that when you held the key in the crank position?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We tested the t104, we didn't test the other one because we could hear the starter click.
We didn't find any voltage at the t104
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

also did you try jumping power to that terminal on the starter to see if it would crank over? if yo have a jumper wire you could jump from the big battery cable wire on the starter to that small terminal

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

oh really? no voltage from the main battery cable connection at the starter? that would be unusual and would lead back to the terminals at the battery

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

or a bad battery cable

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

that should come straight off the battery to the big post on the starter. you could take a jumper cable from the battery post to that post on the starter and then see if it cranks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's damn near impossible to reach it, we went under the car so we didn't have to take off the front manifold and crank throttle. We won't be able to jump it that way.
We assume it may be the heavy battery cable. We put the probe on the copper stands at the battery and it's good there. But testing for voltage at the starter on t104 we found nothing. 00.03-00.20
The solenoid clicks when we turn the key.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

sounds like that is possible but just an unusual case

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

let me know how it turns out, I am curious now

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could the noise coming from the steering column be the cause of this? I saw a video online where he couldn't turn the car over, just the same noise. He replaced one piece in the steering column and it worked great.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After double checking the voltage we found that there is power through the large cable down to the starter, only thing is there's no voltage when we test the top of the bolt. Not sure if that matters. Assuming now it's the starter, again.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

if there was a problem in the steering column that would probably be the ignition switch and in that case you wouldn't have good voltage to the starter solenoid and the starter would not make a clicking noise at all. easiest way I know to determine if the starter is good is to jump power to the solenoid and see if t cranks over.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yep wound up being the starter was bad. After only three weeks. Went and bought a brand new one, works great now. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

awesome, glad you got it fixed, thanks again