Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. domestic and imports. Class A collision tech
2947720

I have a new battery and have never had any problems.

Customer Question

I have a new battery and have never had any problems . Yesterday I got in it and the battery was dead. I charged it. Got in it and the air was blowing without even a key in the switch. I cranked it cut everything off. Later the cops show up to say my neighbors called saying my horn was going off. Dead again today. 05 Thanks !!
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: No . I just bought this van back in the spring and it had a new battery . I have never had any problems until now. I am a single woman.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 05
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: EXL
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't done anything other than charge it late yesterday afternoon. It was late when I took the charger off. Checked it this morning and it was dead again. So I am charging it again.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

It could be that the factory alarm or horn is the culprit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.