Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I bought a new battery for my key fob (2005 honda civic) but

Customer Question

Hi I bought a new battery for my key fob (2005 honda civic) but once programmed it works for around 5 mins but then doesn't work until it is programmed again. It's a circle of a problem and I can't seem to find the solution
JA: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: Came with the vehicle I assume, I have 2 keys and 2 fobs which came with the car when I bought it a couple of days ago
JA: What year is your Civic?
Customer: 2004/2005
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to program the fob using the method of turning the ignition on/off and pressing the button for lock/ unlock and it will program it and then all the locks work fine with the fob. But then after 5 minutes it stops working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's great thank you
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, is it only one of the 2 fobs that you are having trouble with or are both of them not retaining their programming?

Are both the fobs identical looking or are they different which could indicate one is not factory?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you for as much information as possible. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, both fobs are exactly the same, I can send a photo of it if you like? And I have tried programming the 2nd fob but it doesn't seem to work.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, look on the back of the fobs and inside the fob cover for numbers and let me know what they are. I want to verify if they are honda factory fobs or not.

Offhand with both not working I would suspect either the control module in the vehicle or the receiver in the vehicle, but first I want to verify the fobs are honda fobs

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi if I open the fob up (assuming you don't mean the battery cover) it says
G8D-344H-A
It is the same on both fobs
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, they are factory Honda key fobs.

Ok, give me about 10-15 minutes to pull the schematics and troubleshooting and review them and get back to you

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

While I am checking the schematics, here is the factory programming for the fobs. Look them over to make sure you have been doing the correct programming method. If not, then do this programming method and see if it works and let me know

Transmitter Programming

Storing transmitter codes:
The codes of up to three transmitters can be read into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was input first will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors and the trunk are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
2. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.
3. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.
6. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.
9. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the receiver in the multiplex control unit behind the driver's side of the dash.
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.
13. Within 10 sec., aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.
Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm proper operation of the transmitter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried that and it was successful but then once I left the car and came back to it (no more than 5 minutes) the key fob would no longer work until I programmed it in again using the method you just sent me. Programming is not the problem as it will work once it is, it's holding the coding that's the problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Sorry for the long delay, I had a personal emergency to attend to.

Ok, I believe with it not storing the programming for more than one time, that the fob has finally failed over the last 11 yrs. They do eventually go bad due to failed circuit boards