Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 1988 Honda Accord Lxi that I've had since it had 14

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 1988 Honda Accord Lxi that I've had since it had 14 miles on it. Now it has 309,000 miles and needs an ignition switch. Can you give me an approximate cost to have this done. Thank you!
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: Yes. I can be driving along at 60+ MPH when it'll just stop and sometimes the battery light will come on.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'm what one would say mechanically challenged! I'll need to take it to a mechanic, I just wanted an approximate cost.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, other than this my car is running great! I just don't want to be stranded somewhere.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

The labor to replace the ignition switch with the lock cylinder is 1.3 hours. Give me a little to find the cost of the parts. Do you need just the electrical part of the ignition switch replaced or the key and lock cylinder also.

Let me know

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

AutoZone lists both parts. The links are included below.

The electrical part of the Ignition Switch cost $69.99

Duralast Ignition Switch

The lock cylinder with keys cost $25.99

Locksmart Ignition Lock Cylinder

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

By the way shops will make up the cost of the parts, this simply gives you and idea of the actual costs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks