mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 2009 Honda CRV that quit running. I was driving

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Honda CRV that quit running. I was driving about 30 miles an hour and the engine started to sputter and clatter and quit. I add fuel to the intake and it starts. I assume that fuel pump is not running and the fuel filter is dirty. Where is the filter and how can I check for fuel pump operation.the crv is a*****with a 2.4 engine.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda-Acura question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay,

Checking fuel pressure requires a special Honda tool. I have included the instructions for checking it and replacing the fuel pump-filter assembly in the fuel tank.

I assume you verified there is fuel in the tank? The gauge is working? Can you hear the pump running when you try to start it? Check engine light on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It will not start, with key on, engine, I have the check engine light on, I do not hear fuel pump running with key on or cranking, there is fuel in tank and gauge works

I would get to the fuel pump under the cover. Crank it and try smacking the top of the pump. Then check power to the pump on the green wire when the key is first turned on then while cranking. Need to see if there is power to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuel pump is under what cover?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is fuel pump located?

Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looks like I do not have to remove trim?

No it's under the carpet left rear side.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked for power on green wire, has voltage with key on and cranking. Pump will not run

Sounds like a bad pump. If you have a good ground(continuity) on the black wire and power to the green wire the pump is bad.

Thanks,

~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I installed a new pump, and it will not run, I checked voltage and ground wires, okay. Could it be in lockout mode? It was towed by wrecker when it quit.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But, I added fuel to intake and it started

So you have power to the green wire and the black wire has good continuity to ground?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have the ground wire attached with a single wire to the battery negative post and the test light on the green wire. When I put key on, the test light shows voltage . I cannot hear pump run with key on or when cranking

I meant continuity of the black wire in the fuel pump connector. Need to check it with an ohmmeter. Also what is the actual voltage on the green wire? Need to check it with a voltmeter not a test light.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, fuel pump is running, key on and cranking engine. It runs but no start. No injecting of fuel injectors because I add fuel to intake and it starts

Sorry my Honda tech site is down tonight. I will check in the AM to see if it's back online.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thanks

You are welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning, the voltage with key on is 12.1 volts on green wire and ground wire (black) has continuity when checked with ohmeter. It probably does not inject fuel, the fuel pump runs.

Thanks, ***** ***** check engine light on? Any codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Check engine light turns on with key on and turns off when cranking8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My Bosch code reader shows 0 codes and mil off.

Is there anything else you can tell me about this? Work done recently? Anything that might help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No work has been done, the vehicle started having air conditioning cooling problem and dealer said it probably needed compressor clutch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This was 2 weeks ago

Well I am out of suggestions. Sorry but I will need to opt-out. Please don't reply to be wait for the next expert to help.

Expert:  mike switzer replied 2 months ago.

hello are you still needing assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I still need help. The vehicle starts when I add fuel to intake. Fuel pump runs. I noticed that I cannot lock vehicle with remote key. Before the vehicle quit running while driving home, the vehicle could be locked with remote. The vehicle was towed by a wrecker.

sounds like the immobilzer or main relay has gone bad. when you have the key in the on position does the security light turn off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am away from the vehicle. I will check the security light with key on and let you know in the morning,

sounds good

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, when I turn key to on position, immediately, the green key light goes off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, I tried a spare key, it does not start

sorry for the delay i have just now gotten off of work. you will want to check your main relay in the engine bay fuse box.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can u describe it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see an OP 80A Main and IG 50A Main

the 80 main is the one. the 50 is for spark.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I test the main relay? Do I remove on the 2 Phillips screws?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, is the main relay underneath the fuse block?