Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My check engine shows code P0401, what it means, No, 2002

Customer Question

My check engine shows code P0401, what it means
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Honda Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2002 accord, special edition, 4 cylinder .
JA: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Change the knock sensor, and the EGR valve.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: After I reset it, the light came back on after 14miles. Now it's giving me code P0401 EGR system insufficient flow detected.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

If at any point during this conversation you would like to speak on the phone, feel free to request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away. Or simply let me know and I can get the process going.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

If the EGR valve has been replaced and this code still continues to generate and illuminate the check engine light, this problem is most likley caused by plugged up EGR passages.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

You can try to clean the passages out using a wire brush that is flexable to get into the hard to reach areas. However, sometimes it may need necessary to remove the throttle body and or intake to clean all of the carbon out.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Chances are the EGR valve is activating but no exhaust gases are getting onto the intake because of the plugged up passages.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

You may need to add money to your just answer account.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

I can talk on the phone right now

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

If I have answered all of your questions, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today. If you would like to speak on the phone for further detail, please request a phone call on your end and I can call right away.