Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I am having an issue with the low beam headlights not coming

Customer Question

i am having an issue with the low beam headlights not coming on. the high beams currently will work without issue but the low beams will not come on at al
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: i replaced all fuses associated with the headlights, turn signals, running lights. i swapped out both headlight bulbs with new ones. I replaced the headlight relay and the combination switch off the steering column too
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2002 civic lx
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am fixing it myself. I replaced bulbs, fuses, relay, combo switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nopr
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description it's possible to have a defective headlamp switch. The headlamp/combination switch is the most common failure for no low beam operation. With the combination switch plugged in backprobe and ground the red/white wire at the combination switch and see if the low beams come on. If the low beams come on the switch is defective. If the low beams don't come on let me know and I'll send you the location of the red/white wire in the fuse box to check.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already replaced the headlight switch. The one off the steering column? I replaced it with a brand new one.
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

I understand you have replaced the switch. What I saying is defective parts are always possible. I verify everything and assume nothing.

Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

Was there any noticeable overheating at the headlamp switch connector?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took it apart this morning to verify I installed it correctly the first time. I wanted to make sure all the wires were firmly in the harness. I didn't see any burnt or melted wiring. The only thing that looked slightly out of ordinary was a red wire that kinda looked melted but when I inspected it closer it looked like it was heatshrinked at some point so I felt it was probably okay. I can take a second look in the morning to verify the switch.
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

That would be a good idea. I just read a service bulletin concerning melted connectors at the headlamp switch.

You can take a picture of and send it to me.

I'll be here all day tomorrow.

Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

I don't know if you've grounded the red/white wire at the switch yet. Just so you know, you can also ground the red/white wire at either of the headlamps. As long as there is power going through fuse #17 in the underhood fuse box the low beams should come on. Verify with a test light or voltmeter there is power on both sides of fuses 15 and 17 in the underhood fuse box with the headlamp switch in the on position.

Let me know what all you find.
Thanks