sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My rear sliding door latch has been given me problems. I

Customer Question

my rear sliding door latch has been given me problems. I unlaced while I was driving. I pulled over and used a screw driver to engage the latch, turn the doors to manual and closed the door. The frond latch engaged the door, but because the rear latch was already in the closed position it didn't accept the u-bolt. Now when I pull on the handle to release the latches, the rear can't release because the u-bolt is in the way, and the front can't release because ( I image) i can't pull the handle all the way (because of there rear latch). Make any sense?
JA: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: With he door suck 90% closed? Yes. Not the first issue with the rear latch not closing- seems to be an intermittent problem.
JA: What is the model of your '90 Honda?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried pushing on the rear interior of the door, and pull on the rear exterior of door, while pulling the latch. Tried pulling driverside fuse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I need to remove the interior panel (but the door is stuck 90% closed), so I can manually pull the front latch release.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the rear latch pawl is unable to move then that is most likely preventing the linkage from moving enough to allow the front latch to release. If you're unable to force it open with the inside or outside handle then what you'll need to do is remove the door panel to access the latches and linkage. The linkage can then either be removed from the rear latch and use the handle to release the front, or remove the linkage from the front latch and move the release on the latch by hand to open it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed the door panel, which wasn't all that easy since the door was almost complete closed, and fixed this a week ago. Since the door wasn't completely closed, and I live in an area where it rains, I couldn't afford to wait a week to confirm my suspicions. I'm sure your answer is correct, but untimely. I would like a refund of my $23.

If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.