George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I am installing a brake light relay switch on my 2012 Honda

Customer Question

I am installing a brake light relay switch on my 2012 Honda Fit. I need to know which wire I need to cut in order to install the switch. There are 5 wires - green, green/silver, brown, yellow, and white. Based on some info I found online I installed the switch on the green/silver but the brake lights are still lighting. So I need to know which is the correct wire to cut. Thanks.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes, level is good and it was just changed.
JA: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 2 months ago.

Hello I will help,

You want this relay to operate another set of lights and not have the original brake lights work at all? Will you need to reverse the situation so the originals work again?

Do you have a testlight or voltmeter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to disable the brake light switch while I am towing the car. The relay that I am installing is powered by the cigarette lighter adapter so I can easily re-enable the Fit brake lights.

OK, you will use the light green wire, I am troubled that the wire colors you list are not the same as the diagram for the brake light switch. I am seeing a 4 wire connector with white, green, yellow and brown. Thw white is power, green out to the lights, yellow and brown to the cruise.

Can you confirm the year?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a 2012 fit. There are two green wires and from what I read, one of them goes to the switch and the other comes from the switch. They are both light green - one has silver stripes and the other doesn't. I have a voltmeter but I could not find 12v on either one. I know that I am looking for the wire that only has 12v on it whenever the brake pedal is depressed.

You want the green wire not the green/silver then

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, I will try that one this afternoon when I have access to the car.

Great, let me know if you have further questions

Thank you