sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2000 passport that drives fine in Low and in 2nd

Customer Question

I have a 2000 passport that drives fine in Low and in 2nd but put it*****and the transmission doesn't want to go... the rpms rev up
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: I added fluid yesterday as I had a similar issue in the past and added fluid and it helped....
JA: Are you fixing your Passport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not great at fixing anything... The car is not worth a new transmission as it has 170,000 on it... just looking for ideas to be able to drive it for another few months if possible
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have read that sometimes the solenoids need to be cleaned or replaced would this be worth trying...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the trans freewheels at a shift point it indicates internal failure, either geartrain or clutch failure.

Hopefully the fluid level has actually been checked and is at the proper level. If ok and there are no fault codes setting other than gear ratio error codes then the trans is almost certainly going to need to be replaced or disassembled for repair.

If the fluid smells burnt or the problem started gradually then clutch failure is more likely. If it was abrupt then it's more likely to be geartrain.