gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified

I tried to jump start a vehicle with my Honda van the

Customer Question

I tried to jump start a vehicle with my Honda van the battery light came on in the van along with all the door open lights. Then smoke and an wire burning smell started coming from underneath the engine on the passenger side. The battery jump cables were on the correct poles.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

What kind of vehicle were you jump starting? How long did you let your vehicle run, hooked up to the other vehicle, before you tried to start the other vehicle? It sounds like the other vehicle caused a heavy draw, which put a strain on your alternator, or possibly on the alternator wiring leading to the battery. I would examine the wiring for any signs of overheating or melting or other damage. Check out the alternator for any sign of damage, sometimes you can just smell that acidic burning electrical smell if something has been damaged.