acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1

My key will start the car but does not unlock/lick the doors

Customer Question

My key will start the car but does not unlock/lick the doors or open the trunk I just bought the car, did I only get a valet key?
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: I do have a key fab that works most of the time
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 01 Honda Accord LX
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  acura mstr replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is***** here to help you with your problem. Most likely at some point the Ignition switch was replaced and not re-keyed to the other locks. So there are 3 things you can do . You can have a key cut using the code Honda has on file and have 2 keys one for the doors and one to start the car. or have a lock smith re-key the door and trunk . or cut a key using the vin and re-key the ignition switch to the other locks. We dont like to rekey ignition switches because they are complicated and dont always work correctly. So it is better to re-key the door and trunk.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.