Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

RH second row seat does not stay in upright position, 2007

Customer Question

RH second row seat does not stay in upright position
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2007 Odyssey
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. All cables and springs seem to be intact and functioning.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope. thanks!
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The bottom side latch works to unlock the seat from its fully folded down position. When the seat gets halfway open, it clicks and locks in the half open position and slides properly forward and back to allow access to the third row. The lever under the seat functions properly to allow the seat to slide forward and back on the rails. The cable from the lever at the top of the seat (for 3rd row access) is intact, and pulls the lever at the other end up about 5 mm. Whatever mechanism causes the seat to catch in the upright and slightly reclined positions is not working.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have removed the cup holder, bottom side lever, side panel, and two small plastic clip on panels. The mechanisms for attaching the seat to the floor, sliding the seat forward and back, and unlocking from the fully folded position all make sense to me and are functioning.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm hoping there is a simple fix of squirting a little WD40 in the right spot and pushing or pulling something to free up a stuck locking mechanism. If not, I just need to know what part to order. I suspect the right expert will help me solve this in a few lines. No one will get a bad rating on this difficult problem. If you send me the solution, I'll happily pay. Otherwise, I'll just move on to the next expert. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still need help. Thanks!

Here are some diagrams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seat1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seat2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seat3.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seat4.pdf

Normally I find this to be a cable sticking and not retracting causing the hinge lock to not activate and allow the seat back to lock in place. I have a few other diagrams if needed. Can you check it over and possibly disassemble the seat to view things better.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Moose. First of all, thanks for trying to help. I am a professional carpenter and electrician with my own business, and will definitely give 5 stars to whoever helps me solve this. It will be money well spent.I took this seat to my local Honda dealer a few weeks ago had a friendly conversation with the service manager. He explained that his guys weren't trained in seat repair, and that he would have to give it to one of his guys to try to figure it out. I asked if there were diagrams online i could use myself. He printed out and gave me the same diagrams you sent me, explaining that his guys hated doing it, and half jokingly offering me a job if I figured it out.I had no problem taking the seat apart and, as I mentioned above, verifying that all the cables are intact and sliding. (I was a bike mechanic in college, so I was hoping this problem was caused by a simple broken cable. No such luck!)What I can't figure out from the diagrams or looking at the inside of the seat is what causes the seat to lock in the upright position.

Inside the hinge there is a cam style locking lobe that engages and prevents the seat back from moving once engaged.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. So what do I do? Does the hinge come apart to allow the cam axle to be cleaned/lubricated?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Help me understand why this locking mechanism would not engage and how to fix it. Thanks!

Since you have verified it is not a cable or linkage to blame and its not even locking into place while disassembled. That means its is a internal part in the seat frame hinge assembly https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seatframe.png

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had verified that it wasn't a cable or linkage problem before I got online at justanswer.com, and mentioned this explicitly in the question I submitted. The diagram you sent me points at the seat bracket, not at the hinge assembly (which is not even in your diagram). In any event, I wouldn't make a new part as you suggest, or replace the seat frame. In playing with the other seat (which is functional) it doesn't seem that the mechanism could be a "cam style locking lobe." My guess it that it is a ratchet mechanism. I am no closer to a solution than when I started, and it seems that this problem is outside your scope of expertise. I think you have made a good faith effort to try to help me, so I'm not going to give you a low rating, but I would like to move on to another expert, please. Thanks.