Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Power windows in passenger and drivers side suddenly not

Customer Question

Power windows in passenger and drivers side suddenly not working after heavy rain. I here it's make noise but no movement. Been reading that the child safety lock may have been shorted by rain. May need to replace the power window switch I guess. Tested fuses they seem good
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Fuses seem good
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: Odyssey 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuses good. That's all I have tried so far. Then went to the Internet for help. After watching a few videos replacing the power window switch seems pretty straight forward. However the part itself is kinda pricey. Maybe get one used not sure
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked for power to the power window switches? If so, what color wire did you check for power on? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. Not yet. This morning I am going to auto store to buy one of those light up power things I seen on the videos and start looking for power. I'm a little worried that I won't find the ground. Is it obvious? Also. Do I need to start in the hood first? Then the door? Also. Because I hear that clicking sound when I push the button to bring windows up or down, does that sound mean there is power? I have never done anything mechanical like this. Hope I don't break anything. Looks pretty simple in the videos. Any other advise you can give me? I hear this is common problem in Honda Odysseys
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Good morning! It depends on what is making noise. If it is the window motor or one of the relays. If the window motor is making noise, they it might just be bad. But if both power windows stopped working at the same time, it is not very likely that the both motors went bad at the same time. There should be power going into the master switch on at least two wires with the key on. Green/white wire and the white/green wire

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of the power window circuit on your vehicle.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

You could have a bad power window relay or a blown fuse.. so be sure to check those first. If those check out good, you could just have a bad master power window switch. Honda has an updated driver master window switch/door multiplex control unit for this vehicle the part number is *****

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Just be sure that the wiring to and from the switch are in good shape. The most common place for a wiring issue is in the door jamb on the drivers side (because the door is opening and closing all of the time)

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.