HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

With the engine on and in park, there is a loud noise coming

Customer Question

With the engine on and in park, there is a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. It sounds like a metal plate rubbing against another rotating metal part. However, since the vehicle is in park, I don't suspect it is from the brakes.
Also, about a year ago, the rear differential fluid was drained, flushed once, and then refilled to eliminate the shudder when turning the wheel all the way to the right/left. Also, the vehicle is in park, so it eliminates this I think?
What could be the only moving part in the rear when the vehicle is in park? The rear differential shaft?
Sound can be a funny thing....what sounds like it may be coming from the back could really be coming from the front.
Any ideas on how to diagnose further?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

With the vehicle parked there really should be no rotating parts in the rear and you may be right and the noise is coming from something else. Are you able to make a video recording of this noise so we can hear it and post a link here to listen to it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

So this isn't my vehicle, but some YouTube clip that sounds very similar. I'm going to go check if mine sounds similar...think it does:

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The first thing that comes to mind if your sounds like this Vid is the catalytic converter. If you get down under the and place your ear as close as you can with out getting burned dose this noise sound like its coming from the converter?