GDibs
GDibs, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master and L1 Tecnician
95771102

Low beam headlights stopped working, Checked fuses, bulbs,

Customer Question

low beam headlights stopped working
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Checked fuses, bulbs, swapped the relays with some others, nothing worked. When i turn them on form the parking light setting, I can hear a click under the hood
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 Odyssey
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I swapped the relays, checked the bulbs, and checked the fuses. I hear a click when turning the turn signal switch from parking lights to headlights so i know s signal is being sent. The high beams work.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 6 months ago.

Hello, do you have a voltt meter or testlight? we need to test some power and ground points

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a home test meter, will that work?
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 6 months ago.

unsure what you have, needs to be able to read 12 volts DC NOT AC volts

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok i have one - 12 vdc hi-lo auto tester
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a 12 vdc hi-lo auto tester
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 6 months ago.

ok, now, I must know if you have the auto off headlights or the non auto off hedlaights

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure - they do not come on automatically
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 6 months ago.

sorry, not the question, If lights on, do they turn off automatically when you shut the vehicle off

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cannot remember, I always turn them off and cannot remember if I ever forgot to what happened
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not know. I always turn them off, and if I ever forgot to turn them off I cannot recall what happened.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I keep typing and hit send but nothing happens
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just refreshed page and now see all the things I said
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 6 months ago.

all the replies are getting to me. you are rushing the post, I have to pull up diagrams, type and reply and by hitting send over and over the post is filling up and hard to work with you. maybe best I opt out and open the post to another expert. One should be along soon to help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Randall, I am sorry. In the beginning I could see my response as soon as I typed it. Then all of a sudden I could not. I did not know they were going through.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

I might be able to help. One thing that I can add is the fact that your high beams work tells me that the relays and fuses are good. The difference between high beam ad low beam is controlled by the headlight switch an which circuit it grounds, either high bean or low beam. If you could access the headlight switch connector I could give you some tests to try. I am assuming this is a base model Odyssey LX not an Ex or EX-L. There are some differences between the two.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - I was having issues and now switched to internet explorer and it is working better.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well that stinks - two mechanics have bailed on me now. The issue was my firefox browser.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it is an EXL. Leather heated seats, power doors, but no sunroof, dvd, or navigation.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

weird, not sure why it doubled up on that post

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

If we go with it being an EXL then lets see what tests I can give you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. We are out shopping now so it will be awhile before a can do this. Thanks for coming back.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

I am like you and kinda new to the system. Most people do not respond to me right away and we end up going back and forth for a 1/2 day or more. I was away from my computer fr a couple hours this morning.

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

I am not sure what your capabilities are but if you can manage to get the covers off of the steering column that surround your combination switch I can give you a test that should determine if you have a bad combination switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fairly handy. I'll see if I can do it when I get back
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

ok , if you manage to find the connector of the combination switch there should be 2 white/red wires in the connector. The light switch should ground those wires to turn on the low beam lights. If you could manage to back probe those wires with a pin or paper clip or something like that, then turn the light switch on and ground either of those wires and see if the low beam bulb lights up. One controls the left and the other is for the right. Hope this is helpful.

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

You would need a jumper wire to connect the pin or paper clip to ground.

Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** advise was helpful in helping you understand your head light problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am now on vacation, won't be back until the weekend. I'll get back with you then, thanks.
Expert:  GDibs replied 6 months ago.

I too will be on vacation , I will be back Monday