Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

The engine light is on and the d is flashing. I took it to

Customer Question

The engine light is on and the d is flashing. I took it to the shop they put it on the computer and said it got a code for input shaft speed sensor A circuit. Then he said it needed a whole new transmissions. Is this true?
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: I don't know, he just called me with the results. It's a 2008 Odyssey
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I'm just debating whether I should take it to the dealer or transmission shop for a second opinion. I want to know if it's a simple fix or if they have to replace the entire transmission.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just want to know what I should expect. I don't want them to tell me I need an entire transmission if only a part of it can be fixed/replaced.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

what is the mileage on it ?

was the transmission still shifting correctly after the light came on flashing ?

have you had the transmission serviced recently ?

how this happened suddenly light flashing , or you been having issue with transmission slipping or bumping ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

1-The input shaft speed sensor tells the transmission how fast the car is going so it will know when to shift , so if it is not working it will cause the flashing light

so it need to tested & replaced if bad before you change the transmission assembly

I have sent a diagram showing the location of the sensor for your review

2- The sensor is : $143.45 , the sensor is located on the outside of the transmission assembly ,so replacing it only takes 0.8 hrs , so around $75

and diagnostic time an hr , so you look around $200 $300 ,depending on where you take it to get it done .

3- I would definitely suggest another opinion , and dont change the transmission unless you confirm that the sensor is good and working

and the problem is internal and not the sensor before trans replacement

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat