justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I have a 2000 CR-V with 210,000 miles on it. I just had a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 CR-V with 210,000 miles on it. I just had a crank sensor replaced because it would not start. It stalled out within a few minutes after starting 4 different times but then started right up, after the repair. Now it won't start. What should I look for?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I have been servicing only Honda/Acura vehicles for nearly 10 years so I know the brand well. There are two main components on the 1998-2001 Honda CRV that are known to cause no-starts. They would be the ignition coil and the Igniter (also known as the ICM or ignition control module). As a rule when one of these components fail we recommend replacing both. We have found through experience that when either the coil or igniter fail the other will not be far behind. It would be a good option for you to replace both the igniter and ignition coil. Both of these components are inside the distributor housing. I would also check your spark plugs and if they haven't been replaced in the last 30,000 I would replace them. Worn spark plugs will speed up the failure of your new ignition parts. While you have the rotor button off, if it hasn't been replaced in the last 30,000 miles I would also replace that. You will have the rotor button off while replacing the coil and igniter so it would make sense to do this. Do this and you shouldn't have any issues with it starting. I will include a link to view the factory parts, part numbers, and pricing. Most aftermarket auto parts stores such as Advance Auto should stock both of these parts and have them readily available. The Honda factory igniter is quite expensive so most people go aftermarket. I do recommend replacing the parts using factory if it fits your budget. They will last longer. If you have any additional questions about this just let me know. Thanks.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

Factory igniter link:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~igniter~unit~assy~30130-p75-006.html

Factory coil link:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~coil~assy~30510-pt2-006.html