Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 05 Acura RSX Type-S. The air conditioner was

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 05 Acura RSX Type-S. The air conditioner was working fine until I left the car at idle for about 5 minutes. When I returned the compressor was not engaged and has not come back on. It has done this before but usually would start working shortly afterwards.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 173,000 2.0L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I Checked the fuses and relays under the hood. I swapped out the horn relay to test the AC relays and it did not fix the problem. I am thinking it may be the condenser fan switch but i'm not sure where it is or if there is another place I should look first.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked the Freon level? A low charge would prevent the compressor from coming on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not yet. It was not cycling the compressor a lot as I am used to during low refrigerant levels. I do have a full pressure gauge set somewhere around but I have to find it. It seemed so sudden to work fine and then totally quit that I was expecting it could be electrical. I can find the gauge and hook it up to check if that should be my next move. If it is low and causing the compressor not to engage, is there a way to force engagement?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You could jump the pressure switch with a wire, You could also jump the relay then if the compressor works you know the wiring is ok.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Would you like me to send you a wiring diagram of the ac circuit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that would be great.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

ok