Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a Honda Odyssey 2008. I am replacing the roller for

Customer Question

I have a Honda Odyssey 2008. I am replacing the roller for the sliding door. After taking the cables off the previous roller, the door handle was pulled inadvertently. Both cables retracted. Currently, the cables are about 2 feet from each other and stick out about 6 inches to a foot from their holes in the side of the car.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have opened up the inside panel and accessed the tensioners. I have pulled them up. But the cables will not release. I should also mention I finally shut off the power doors and pulled what I think is the passenger's side fuse. Yes, computerized assistant, I am hoping to fix this myself
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: No. But I have looked fairly extensively on the internet and no one seems to explain how to fully release the cables.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I havent worked on one of these models myself but saw no one else had posted and did some checking into this issue and like other models I have seen when the cables retract this far like this here the cable module/motor usually needs replaced as an assembly to correct this fault here.I dont see a way myself to correct these manually.If you would like to continue to search for more help here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Pete. Thanks for your response. I'm very much hoping I don't have to replace the motor.
After a fair amount of research, I'm fairly convinced that there is no easy way to pull the cables back out. There's a few sites I have found where I could simply replace the cables themselves. But I'm hoping that I can access the motor and open the pulley without having to take the motor out. Then simply rewind the cables inside instead. I was hoping I'd find somebody that had done that.
I've easily taken off the inside panel, but haven't yet removed the brackets, etc. In front of the motor.
I'm guessing that when the cables were loose, they easily became entwined and therefore started winding together instead of opposite each other.
Of course, this Just Answer site leaves you under the impression that an expert mechanic is waiting to answer you via text message immediately once you pay your deposit. Not till after you pay do they mention it will be at least a day. This is the first response from anyone in 3 days. Needless to say I will request the refund. Not your fault of course. I appreciate your attempt to help.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Once again I do apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete