sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Cant open the in-bed trunk in my 2008 Honda Ridgeline,

Customer Question

Cant open the in-bed trunk in my 2008 Honda Ridgeline
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: where?
JA: What is the model of your '08 Honda?
Customer: its the cheap model, no leather or controls on the steering wheel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried using the key manually and pushing down on the lid while using the key.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: there's lots of stuff packed inside the trunk so it may be pushing up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it was forced closed with too much in the storage box then it will be binding the latch, but if you pushed downward and were able to actually move it, then it should have opened if that was the case. If you were unable to get it to move downward while trying to unlock it though then that coudl still be the issue.

You may also have a latch issue or the problem may be with the lock cylinder. Are you able to turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unable to turn the key
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if I have a latch issue, what is the solution? If the problem is the lock cylinder, what is the solution?

The failed part will need to be replaced.

Does it feel as if the key is not correct when attempting to turn it? Or does it feel as if it is recognized as the correct key but cannot continue turning?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't understand your question. the key goes into the key slot but does not turn to either unlock or release the latch. I don't know what you mean by feeling "correct."

If you insert an incorrect key to into a lock cylinder you're met with a mechanical block. If the lock cylinder is bad you're going to feel this mechanical block.

If the key does attempt to turn but won't and it gives more of a softer block then it's going to be a latch issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe the key only unlocks the truck. it does not activate the release to open the trunk lid.

Do you mean it will not open with an electric release and does not have a lock cylinder as indicated in your first post?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it does have a lock cylinder. There is no electric release with this model, meaning that hitting the unlock button on the key fob only unlocks the four doors as well as the trunk lid. It does NOT "release" the trunk lid causing it to open. It has always been a manual open with your hand under the lid next to the lock cylinder.
Do you hear anything from it when locking and unlocking the doors?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the noise they make to lock or unlock. Also, when pushing the release button (under the lid) which usually opens the lid, it makes a click, and then a second click as if it opens it then closes it.

The problem is almost certainly a mechanical failure of the latch then.