Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I am having problems with the driver side brake light on a

Customer Question

I am having problems with the driver side brake light on a 2000 Honda accord
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the brake light bulb connector is at fault. (If this is a lighting problem.) The green wire is power to the brake light bulb when the brakes are applied. The black is the ground. With a test light verify there is power to the connector on the green wire with the brake pressed, you can use the black wire as a ground for the test light. If you need a circuit diagram let me know the body style.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.
Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I used the connecter from the othe side and it would not work so I think it's something to do with the wiring
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

If there is no power on the green wire, and ground on the black with the brake on. Yes this would be a wiring problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok where would I start to find where the power stops does that run my running lights too
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

The brake lights are on there own circuit.

Let me know the first 10 of the VIN to assure we're on the same sub-model of Accord.

Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

Anytime you want to continue, just let me know. Also you can simply connect from the green wire on the right to the green wire on the left to make the power circuit. Do the same with black for the ground. This should kinda band-aid the circuit just so you have brake lights.

Let me know
Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
your saying run a hot and ground from my other brake light not the one that's on the back dash and that will complete the circuit
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

That's correct, all done in the trunk. Right to left green to green and black to black.

Some Accords have a lamp out sensor at the left rear brake light assembly. If you will let me know the VIN or DX, EX, LX Sedan or Coupe I can send you a circuit diagram and take the guess work out of this problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4 door
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sedan
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
should I tee tap both wires and run them over to the left side
Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

You can T them in, but if there is a problem in the circuit from the stop lamp connector towards the switch you could create other problems. Best to cut the left side from the harness and T the right into it. If you have a brake light failure lamp on the dash this will remain on. The link below is a circuit diagram.

DX Sedan

Let me know how this works out.

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 3 months ago.

Just following up. Did you get the left side brake lamp to operate? If so let me know which circuit, the power or the ground was the problem.

Let me know

Thanks