Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

2004 CRV brake lights will not go off, Yes and level is

Customer Question

2004 CRV brake lights will not go off
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes and level is fine. I took out the fuse for overnight parking so as not to lose battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Am trying to find a way to fix myself. Is there some sort of lever or spring connected to the brake pedal?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that with car on - brake lights are on - don't blink when stepping on brake. When car is off, brake lights stay on.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

When the brake lights will not shut off, this is most commonly due to a problem with the Brake Light Switch. It's located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual inspection checks ok, more than likely, the plunger internal of the switch has fail in the on position, and the switch will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

If you have any other questions on this, or there is any other info I can provide that may better assist, please feel free to reply and ask. If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a rating.