Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

My 2008 honda ilot VSA and ABS light came on together at

Customer Question

my 2008 honda ilot VSA and ABS light came on together at 120,000 miles and stay on. no obvious problem. not sure how to diagnose or fix.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: just ABS and VSA
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to try a few things before going to the Dealer. I checked the fuses, brake fluid level. All ok. I was going to remove each wheel and see if any sensor wires wer obviously loose.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it is the VTM4 +VSA +ABS lights that stay on, nothing else
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

The best way to start diagnosing this one would be to scan the computer for trouble codes. The VTM4, VSA, ABS lights usually come on when there is a a fault in the traction control system or a non emissions related fault somewhere.

It could really be any number of things; do you have access to a scan tool so you can check for trouble codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I don't . my first thought was to look for obvious breaks in the connection at each sensor.If nothing obvious,then go to dealer.
I did see were you can check resistance of each sensor line if you know which pin holes to touch on the main connector.
any obvious things to check first without a scan tool?
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Do you mean the wheel speed sensor connectors?

You should see a square wave signal on a lab scope. That's really the only way to test those sensors correctly.

The lights could be on for hundreds of reasons. We rarely see them on for a bad wheel speed sensor. Normally it's a transmission output speed sensor if it a sensor issue.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I just wanted to check and see if you need additional help with this. If not please don't forget to rate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jared, it looks like I need to have a scan done for trouble codes to see what is the cause, since their could be hundreds per your note. Prior to getting the scan, do you recommend any visual checks of hardware for obvious damage? I will rate tonight also . Thanks bob
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

If one of the speed sensors was physically damaged it would set the lights as you describe, but it might still be tough to tell unless the wiring was badly damaged. Each wheel hub has a small sensor with wires running from it. You could check those wires to make sure they aren't dangling or obviously damaged.

You could also check the brake fluid level. It's a long shot, but I suppose it could trigger the ABS light if it was low enough, which would then trigger the VSA light.