Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 Honda accord cruise control only works once in a while

Customer Question

2003 Honda accord cruise control only works once in a while an when it does work it cut off
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced for this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No had the problem for a year keeped getting worse
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Does your model have the 2.4 liter or 3.0 liter engine in it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2.4
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Your vehicle uses a cruise control module/ecu.This ecu should set a fault code relayed to the engine computer that can be checked using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.I would have the fault codes checked here to see what codes are set.Then from there those codes diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.

I have seen issues with the brake switch as well as wheel speed sensor signals intermittently cut out and cause this fault needing replaced.These signals can be monitored on a compatible scan tool to see if one or the other is the cause as well as check other data signals like the cruise switch for any signal issues cutting out the cruise.One of these will be the cause here but this will need to be looked into further to pinpoint and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a pretty good scan tool but I don't think I have any codes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

If it is one that can communicate with the cruise control module or engine computer you might observe the data signals to see if any of the signals are cutting out or switching.Like cruise off engaging on its own as this can indicate the switch at fault,observe wheel speed sensor data in the scan tools anti lock brake data list to see if any wheel speed sensor signals are intermittently cutting out when the cruise issue occurs as this can point out that the affected speed sensor is the cause needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there's no way to checke the cruise control without a Special abs computer
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Here is some diagnostic info on the cruise being inoperative on your model here if this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pd89defaupj4vk/c-08-22.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k0czm410am8a6g/cr-08-22.gif?dl=0

Cruise Control Unit Input Test

SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and precautions and procedures before performing repairs or service.

1. Disconnect the 14P connector from the control unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt15b9tc0pk0f64/t-08-22.gif?dl=0

2. Inspect the connector and socket terminals to be sure they are all making good contact.

- If the terminals are bent, loose, or corroded, repair them as necessary, and recheck the system.
- If the terminals look OK, go to step 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c82d78owci4eo4b/te-08-22.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvtxg95w6dqaknl/tes-08-22.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qzvuopt8b8nlxm/test-08-22.gif?dl=0

3. With the 14P connector disconnected, make these input tests.

- If test indicates a problem, find and correct the cause, then recheck the system.
- If all the input tests prove OK, the cruise control unit may by faulty. Substitute a know-good cruise control unit and retest. If the system works properly, replace the cruise control unit.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I'll get right on those tests and get back to you thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

The testing will only be accurate when it is acting up.If tested when it is operating then it will show everything is o.k.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well now it's doesn't work more times Then it works
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Thats the issue here,the testing will only show results as the fault if the vehicle is acting up.Kind of like going to a doctor for an issue but the issue clears up before you get there.

Keep the testing info on hand here so when it starts to act up more or when it does and you can test a little at a time it will help you locate the fault here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok pete on another job right now when i get back to the cruize control .i will rate you thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

No problem