cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years

I have a 1988 honda prelude soc dual carbutetor cold start

Customer Question

i have a 1988 honda prelude soc dual carbutetor
cold start sometimes will not idle up and does not seem to run well as if the choke isnt actuating. this is an erratic issue. cold weather seems to affect it more. is there a cold start valve on this engine?
Category: Honda
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 2 months ago.

there is no cold start valve when is the last time the carb was cleaned

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not cleaned this carburetor . one had been replaced several years back. I am concerned about parts availability gasket kit, etc. Do you have a minimal procedure. we might use?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 2 months ago.

parts are pretty easy to find for it give me just a moment i will get you the procedure

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 2 months ago.
  • With the engine off, remove your air filter housing so that the carburetor is accessible. Get your rags together, along with your spray lubricant and carburetor and choke cleaner. Also locate the throttle control attached to the carb, which allows you to manually operate and run the engine faster while doing the cleaning.

• Place some rags around the base of the carburetor, because the chemicals may harm any nearby painted surfaces, and the rags will stop any runoff.

• Put on your safety goggles and spray the "outside" of the carb with your lubricant, or the carb and choke cleaner. Be sure to spray the connections and attached moving parts, such as the throttle area linkage. Let the fluid set a moment or two and wipe up. If you have a heavy buildup of sludge and oils, clean with a small wire brush before the spray dries

• Before you start the car, spray a small amount of carb cleaner directly into the carb. Then remove your rags and any tools from the engine area and start the engine. Do NOT spray the lubricant into the carb. Start the engine and use the throttle control, since you want to be able to run the motor at a higher rpm while you spray in more carb cleaner fluid. This will help push the cleaner through and will also avoid stalling out the engine. Spray in short spirts, run the engine faster and then slow it down to normal idle and respray again. Do this a few times.

• Let the car run for a few minutes at normal idle. Then turn off engine and re install the air filter and housing. Now drive the car for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot ,allowing the carb cleaner to completely run through the system. Even if you don't feel any increase in performance, you can rest assured that you are doing all you can to care for and preserve the carburetor.