Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I changed the clutch on my Honda CRV 2x times. Sometimes the

Customer Question

I changed the clutch on my Honda CRV 2x times. Sometimes the clutch pedal is very heavy but not always. I have broken down now SIX times with all of the drama of tow trucks etc. The Official Honda garage has changed the clutch kit twice and today I broke down for the 6th time. The problem starts with a heavy clutch pedal and with not being able .to change gears. When the car arrives at the garage everything works fine. Is this something to do with heat? I am in Spain. The usual scenario is that when you stop, to go to the shops & with a heavy pedal, when you return it is impossible t use the gears. Can anyone help please. I've had this problem for more than 3 months! i broke down again today after a very shot (3 km) journey. I'd be grateful for your experience and information.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No. Strangely this thing just happens in this order. Heavy pedal...park..go back to car...heavy pedal...unable to change gears. AND remember the oficial garage of Honda has changed the entire clutch TWICE!
JA: What year is your CR-V?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: From birth always, check ups every year with the official Honda dealer and mechanics
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I'm waiting for advice
Category: Honda
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

hello

I'd say that this may be an issue with the clutch 'delay valve'

this is a little sprung loaded restrictor thats plumbed in line and should look something like this plastic part in the image

I've known them to stick over time and I'd suggest to remove it altogether and see if this improves things

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Matt
The Honda mechanic is coming tomorrow and I'll suggest this to him. I'll keep you posted. many thanks
Kevin
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

understood

good luck

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Matt
I've just picked up the car where it broke down today at 13.00. Clutch very heavy and unable to change gear. Now it is 21.30. No surprises, it started first time, the clutch was easy to use and the gears changed easily. Could this be anything to do with a heat issue? It's just that each time I have broken down (very heavy clutch and unable to change gear) it has been very hot. Also, when you suggest "to remove it altogether" (the delay valve) do you mean remove completely or remove and replace it? Many thanks. *****
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello Kevin

its possibly related to heat as if the clutch plate is slipping and overheating things then it will all expand and possibly lock up

and I would recommend to remove the delay valve as its only there to help with pedal feel and isn't required for clutch function but it can fail and prevent proper operation

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Matt
I'll pass all this on to the mechanic tomorrow. Regards Kevin
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Understood

good luck

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you