Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

I have a 2001 Honda CRV in Panama. Yesterday it overheated

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Honda CRV in Panama. Yesterday it overheated and I had it towed to a repair facility where the thermostat was replaced. Mechanic took it for a test drive and it seemed good. After the*****home it started to overheat again. What should I be looking for?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: My boyfriend is under the vehicle removing some of the rubber splash guard stuff trying to see if he can find if and where it may be leaking. The problem is he and car is in a third world country but Honda is the most popular brand there. Obviously I'm concerned it could be something serious.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My boyfriend is mechanical and is trying to isolate the problem so he can have parts brought to the house.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No it is just overheating.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

First and foremost is to check the system for a leak. A system pressure check should be done. This can be done with a pressure tester. If you do not have access to one, you can usually rent one from most local big-chain parts stores. Pump up the system and watch the gauge. It should hold steady for a minimum of 5 minutes. If the gauge moves, there is a leak. While the system is pressurized check the system for any signs of a leak. If none are found, the problem may be internal, like a faulty head gasket.

If the system pressure holds and there is no leak, then next the cooling fan should be inspected to make sure it is kicking on at about half-way on the temp gauge.

If the cooling fans are working, next is to check for coolant flow. With the engine running, check to see if the coolant is circulating correctly. If not, this can be a failed water pump or a clog in the system.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing and rate or accept!
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Were there any other questions you had on this? Was there something specific you were hoping to have addressed that I may have missed in my answer?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.