HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

The hood release is not working. The interior latch pulls

Customer Question

The hood release is not working. The interior latch pulls but doesn't release the hood. I have the driver's side wheel off and the under-panel off as well. I am trying to figure which way to pull/push on the assembly from below the car. It seems to move from the passenger's side toward the driver's side. I am pushing with a rod at about a 45 degree angle on the end of the small spring assembly and don't get too much movement. Anyway, I hear conflicting and ambiguous directions. It's a 2005 CRV.
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: No.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Honda?
Customer: CRV
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried pushing a 36 inch rod up at an angle from underneath on the small spring lever. I
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Honda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 months ago.

hello. Usually when this happens the issue is that the latch is simply stuck. Are you able to verify if the cable is broken or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I popped off the cover and the cable is still attached at the handle. It seems to stretch further than normal. That is why I am approaching it from under the car.

Alright. I don't think the cable is stretched. What's most likely happening is the hood latch cable is stuck in the release position, but the hood latch itself has not released since it's mostly likely gunked up with rust. When this happens ( which is often), we usually try to vigorously shake the hood up and down very quickly until the latch releases while someone else keeps the handle pulled up so it doesn't move it's way back to the latched position, or sometimes if it's not a car in great condition, you can bang on the hood a few times and get it to release that way.

Unless you are able to look up at the latch from underneath and can see that the cable is not attached to the latch? I highly doubt that's the case though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that earlier and again just now.. Didn't work.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can see the cable at the latch. It appears to be connected but I can't see the actual connection.

I would be surprised if the cable had come off the latch. I have seen it happen but not very often compared to a seized up latch from rust. have someone hold the handle back, or do it with a bungee cord so it doesn't work it's way back and try shaking the hood real good up and down until it un latches. I can recall times where we have spent upwards of a half hour trying to open a hood. Depending on how bad it is, it could be a real task.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to pick it up in the morning. No go do far. Not much give on the hood.

yeah. you will have to either bang it a few times, or just keep trying to lift it until it lets loose. as long as the cable is still attached to the latch and to the handle, then it should let go eventually with persistence. They always do. Some are much harder than others.

Did you get it open?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Although attached at both ends, the hood latch end of the cable was free on the end retainer that goes into the slot. So, no matter how many times we struck the hood and pulled on the handle in the car, it wasn't ever going to open. When I saw the retainer groove out of the slot, it was only a matter of wedging it's tip against the latch body and the pulling the handle through a helper to get it to pop open. Once open, I was easily able to reinsert the retainer in its proper groove. The last work I had done was on the AC not too long ago. It must have come dislodged then.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm happy you got it figured out. Good job!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.