justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Well my car won't go past 20 miles per hour check engine

Customer Question

well my car won't go past 20 miles per hour check engine light turns on as soon as it happens say like after driving 10 miles or so
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: hmmm
JA: What is the model of your '10 Honda?
Customer: i think it stays on solid
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing i limited budget so i was hoping to fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no not really beside the point it doesn't go faster than 20 - 25 miles per hour and ir doesn't rev past 3k rams once light decides to turn on solid
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my vet is not a 2010 its a 2002 here are the details.....
2002 Honda Civic
VIN: 1HGEM22562L039838
Style / Body: LX 2dr Coupe
Engine: 2 Li I4
Country of Assembly: EAST LIBERTY, OHdrives perfect 10 miles or so then check engine light goes on and it doesn't rev past 3000 rpm and doesn't go past 20-25 miles per hour
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
until i turn off and then it auto corrects till i drive 10 miles or so and then problem starts all over again
Expert:  justinsbg replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

First thing I would like you to do is check the engine oil level. This is more than likely a VTEC malfunction. The most common causes for VTEC problems is low engine oil. Check the engine oil. Pull the dip stick and wipe it clean. Re-insert the dip stick and note where the oil is on the stick. If it is very low or not visible at all on the dip stick then add oil and drive it to see if the problem is corrected. If the oil is full then I recommend replacing the VTEC oil pressure switch. This switch commonly fails and causes this problem that you are experiencing. I will include a link to view the factory part location, part number, and pricing. That should take care of it. If you have any additional questions about this just let me know. Thanks

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~switch~assy~37250-phm-003.html

Please remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my advice. If you have any additional questions just let me know. Thanks!