cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Technician with 35 years xperience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.

Car cutting out when accelerating. Happened three times now.

Customer Question

car cutting out when accelerating. Happened three times now. When it really is cutting out the engine light flashes on and off. I have a 2004 Honda civic ex
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: no just blinks--the check engine light--only sometimes if its cutting out real bad. This seems to happen more when my car has been sitting for about 24 hours.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing I'm a woman
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: but I do have a mechanic friend who could probably fix it for me
Category: Honda
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 2 months ago.

Most likely a cam shaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor issue, These types of failures require the use of a live data scanner at a dealership or repair facility to accurately diagnose. Parts changing to diagnose the issue is not recommended, because the components involved are pricey and require programming once replaced. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.