david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2008 CRV. I'm having issues with my battery. In

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2008 CRV. I'm having issues with my battery. In July, dead battery. I purchased it a year ago. Went back to Autozone and swapped it. All good, for a few weeks. Battery dead again. I took it to my mechanic and I suggested it might be the alternator. I was told if it was the alternator, the indicator would come on the dash. I didn't see an indicator. So I'm not sure what it is. My boyfriend (who knows Hondas) said it may be the A/C relay switch and asked me to ONLY get that part replaced since they go out all the time. I did, and it has worked for about 2 weeks. For the past 2 weeks though the battery is sounding dead again when I start it. This past Saturday was the first time it was completely dead after driving it for 40 minutes. He took another job a hour away and cannot help me on my cars lately. So, I want to do this without bothering him.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: voltmeter? changed an a/c relay.. no.. but I've been reading on how to do it online.. youtube too. can't be that hard. right now I have the battery on a charger... but it still sounds dead when I start it.. these newer cars must have a lot at start up to drain the battery that much..
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was told the part was about $30. I was told I can do it myself. So if I can.. then I will, but if it isn't the relay switch... I have no idea what else it could be.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: actually, yes. The a/c has been on the whole time I drive the distance. I drive 30 miles each way to and from work.. therefore I can't understand why it's dead. Obviously it could be the alternator.. but that was tested with the mechanic, before they changed the relay switch this last time.
Category: Honda
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David and I will be assisting you. there are a few things that need to be looked here. 1. the positive cable from the battery to the starter and alternator need to be free of any type of corrosion, and they need to be checked for looseness. any amount of movement from these cables is not allowed. 2. the negative battery cable runs to the engine block and needs to be free of any corrosion at the battery and where it attaches to the block. any movement of this cable can cause all kinds of issues. if there are smaller cables running to the fender well or radiator support from the negative battery post, then they also need to be clean and tight. 3. the alternator needs to be tested for voltage output, it should be no less than 14.4 volts dc. 4. the drive belt that turns the alternator needs to be checked for looseness. if its too loose, it could be slipping and not turning the pulley fast enough to fully charge the battery. once all of those things are checked and verified, let me know and we will go from there. thanks.

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning
Just letting you know that my brother got on the phone with me and we eliminated all possibilities. From removing and viewing the fuses, to checking the voltage on the battery with and without a/c and then what was draining it. We all came to the conclusion last night at 10pm that it was my starter that was bad and drawing so much power just to turn over the engine. It wasn't the a/c, nor the alternator. It was/is the starter. Therefore I know what I need to get priced at the repair shop. Thank you for the advice.

glad to hear you and your bro figured her out.... please rate my service as its the only way i get credit for my advice. thank you and have a good day.

please rate my service as its the only way i get credit for my advice..have a good one