Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech
19513769

My 2008 honda accord with the 2.4 liter 4 cylender engine

Customer Question

my 2008 honda accord with the 2.4 liter 4 cylender engine has 86000 miles and uses a lot of oil. the honda dealer is doing an oil consumtion test. how much oil consumtion must there be before honda replaces the piston rings
Category: Honda
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

if consumption is more than 1 quart in 1000 miles is the magic number

it sounds like they keep over filling the oil on purpose to show the oil level is not burning as much as the car is

if your persistent with them they will end up doing the rings

" If consumption is 1 one quart every 1,000 to 3,000 miles, the company may require more tests and higher levels of approval before offering repairs. If the consumption rate is more than 1 quart per 1,000 miles, Honda will rebuild the engine to replace the piston rings and may replace the engine block, if it is also damaged. "

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

how are you making out ?