Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

My car wont start after i replaced the ignition switch

Customer Question

my car wont start after i replaced the ignition switch because it was jamming when I turn the key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes. no key is not damaged
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 odyssey
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced the ignition switch. when i turn the key the lights turn on the dash and cranks but the caar wont start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: one of the lights on the dash is a green colored key symbol
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I cannot call you as you are in the US and I am in the UK, although I can tell you the problem and what you need to do.

The ignition key has a transponder in it, the green key symbol on the dash is the immobilizer, I suspect that as you have replaced the lock you are using a different key that is not coded into the vehicle as yet.

This will need coding in by an auto locksmith or at Honda using HDS and a pin code obtained from MARIS 1.

To get you going to get somewhere, around the lock is the transponder ring, if you free this and move it away from the lock, tape the original key in a similar position to it would of been in the lock, to the transponder reader to get you going.

Until the immobilizer system is programmed to accept the new key, this is the only way I can think of to get you moving.