HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey. My passenger sliding door will

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey. My passenger sliding door will not open automatically or manually. I have attempted all the fuse removal techniques but I still cannot open the door. When I try to open the door using the control system (door handle, console button or key chain transmitter) it appears to unlatch but then makes the 3 sequential beep sound, like it would normally do for an emergency stop situation (something is caught in the door preventing progress). Door does not budge manually at all, under any conditions.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: what key?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would love to be able to fix this myself but need some direction. Have you read my original post explaining the issue?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 months ago.

Yes the problem is the center roller is broken this is whats causing your issue has this been checked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. How do I check the center roller?

Let me post a link that will help you .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just remembered taking the van into the dealership to do work on our sliding doors last year. I went through the maintenance records and it shows that they replaced the center rollers on both doors in August of last year.

Ok if you switch the interior switch to off can you open the door ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I have tried the interior switch, I have tried removing the clock fuse (#13), I have tried removing the 30amp fuses under the hood that say Power Sliding Doors and the door will not budge.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is something that might help. The door seems to be responding just like if it were locked. It makes the same noises and responds the exact same way as the drivers side sliding door when it is locked. So, there may actually be an issue with the locking mechanism in the door.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, the actuator for the lock seems to be working because I can remotely open and close the sliding tab on the door that shows it locked and unlocked.

Ok but the door does not budge at all like its jammed correct ? Also did they replace the lower roller as well as the latch and motor cable ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It actually reacts just like it is locked.

Ok so doesn't even pop open at all stays flush with the body of the vehicle ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It reacts just like the drivers side sliding door when it is locked. It will not budge manually and it will attempt to move when the electronics are engaged.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As far as I can tell from the maintenance receipt, only the center rollers were replaced.

Ok I just need to know if it makes the initial pop open but doesn't slide to diagnose this correctly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When not running manually, there is an initial pop open, just like when the door is locked and you try and open it.

Ok if the door pops open and you can not budge this manually its going to be either an issue with the center roller even though it was replaced it very well could of broke again and should be covered by the dealer.If the center roller is ok then there is another roller on the bottom tract that breaks and causes this issue as well. This would also need to be checked . Last and lets hope thats not the issue is the actual sliding door motor could of seized and came apart internally which is a very expensive repair a lot of times the cables break and get sucked into the motor causing this issue and its 1000 dollar repair.This is where you need to focus next for this issue .These are the next steps. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.Im here if you need any further assistance at no further charge.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when the rollers brake or the motor seizes the door locks engage?
Do you have any detailed information (drawings, schematics, operation) you can send me on how the door locks?

Yes the door locks have nothing to do with it if the sliding door pops open the door locks are working fine .I will send you a link to a bulletin on the vehicle give me a few minutes to post it for you .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. Do you have instructions on how to check the center and lower rollers?
give me a little while I will post links to that as well