Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

90 honda accord. cannot get key to go in all the way to

Customer Question

90 honda accord. cannot get key to go in all the way to install crankshaft pully What do I do now?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pully came loose while driving, but did not drop off. We removed key and pulley here where we are repairing (trying to) the pulley system. We got a used pulley and key from a honda salvager, but we cannot get the key to seat far enough into the keyway so that we can insert and tighten the pulley bolt. What can we do?
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 months ago.

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Did you get a good look at the crankshaft slot where the key fits and see if it shows any sigh of damage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
none that we can see

Are you putting the key in the crankshaft slot or are you trying to put it in the pulley slot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have tried both and can't get it to go in any deeper

The correct way is to use the crank slot.

so i take it that it will go in a little bit?

If so have you tried tapping it in further?

note: it wont go all the way into the slot, only about halfway.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if it won't go in all the way, how can you torque the bolt to its proper setting?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just tried your fix. That leaves the key sticking out 3/8 " or so. The bolt will not tighten with the key that far out. Yes we tried tapping it in further. It won't go in further. Could it be that the timing gear which is behind the cover somehow turned and won't allow the key to seat properly?

Thats about the only thing thing could have happened if it wont go all the way in.

Below is a pic of the inside and i can see how that could happen..

click here

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We put it into the crankshaft slot and tapped it in as far as it would go. When we put the pulley on, there is a lot of key that is sticking out. We matched the new key to the old one, so I am sure it is the correct key.

yup, unfortunately you are going to have to remove that dam cover and see what slipped out of position.

I bet its hitting the face of the gear inside and just needs moved a little.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yeah, we have the same picture in the Chilton Manual. I guess that we will have the car towed to the shop I got the pully from and let them fix it. Messing with the timing is beyond me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks for your time

My pleasure bud. Hope I helped a bit.

Please remember to rate my service if you would.

I can remember being in that spot before with that long key. Usually they are shorter.