justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Both of my low beams went out together, my high beams work

Customer Question

Both of my low beams went out together, my high beams work fine. Put new lamps in, still low beams don't work. Just came from pep boys, they checked the fuses and said they were ok. Maybe the swithch on the steering column or a relay switch?
JA: Have you checked the bulbs and fuses?
Customer: New bulbs and fuses ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2003 civic coupe ex
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just had the fuses checked
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything else
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Do you have a multimeter or test light to do some electrical testing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't. Just want to know what to expect when I take it to a mechanic. Heard that there was a recall on my year and model Honda for headlight switch wiring.

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just answer.

There is a recall on the headlight switch. If your vehicle is affected the dealership should do this repair for free. I would contact your local dealer and mention the recall. They will ask you for the VIN number for the vehicle to determine if yours is affected. I will include some of the bulletin in this thread. If you have any additional questions about this just let me know.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks

12-056

September 14, 2012

Applies To:
2002-03 Civic - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility
2004-05 Pilot - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

Safety Recall: Low Beam Headlights May Not Work

(Supersedes 12-056, dated August 31, 2012, to revise the information marked by the black bars and asterisks)

*REVISION SUMMARY

^Under WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION, the Civic flat rate were changed because the battery disconnection/reconnection procedures are not required.

Example of the customer letter was added.*

BACKGROUND

A terminal in the combination light switch 16P harness connector can overheat and may cause the low-beam headlights to fail without warning. Although the high-beam position remains operational, an unexpected loss of low beam functionality could result in a crash.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

Owners of affected vehicles have or will receive a notification for this campaign in September 2012. An example of the customer notification is included at the end of this service bulletin.

Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.

Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your used vehicle inventory.

Should a dealership sell an unrepaired vehicle that subsequently causes an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims. To see if a vehicle in inventory is affected by this campaign, do an iN VIN status inquiry before selling it.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Inspect the combination light switch wire harness 16P connector and, depending on what you find, install a combination light switch wire kit, or a combination light switch repair kit.