justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Honda Civic 1997 LX. Battery is draining over night with

Customer Question

Honda Civic 1997 LX. Battery is draining over night with nothing on. Replaced battery, same thing happens. Used amp meter between removed negative lead and battery post, pulling 11 amps. Removed all fuses one by one and did not find culprit. Removed 40A fuse under hood (#42) and amps now 0. Where does # 42 IG1 (Ignition Switch) go? I pulled the two connectors associated with the ignition switch in the under dash box but still pulling 11 amps.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought I just typed what I have tried and identified already.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, the current draw is associated with whatever is on fuse #42.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Give me a bit to look over the wiring diagram and see what the issue might be

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I suspect there is an issue internal of the electrical portion of what ignition switch. This would be the only explanation. On most models the electrical portion of the ignition lock cylinder is replaceable. Unfortunately on this model the entire lock cylinder assembly has to be replaced. I will include a picture of the ignition switch as well as a link to view the factory part, part number, and pricing. If you have additional questions about this just let me know and I will gladly assist with further information. Thanks.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~key~set~cylinder~06350-s01-a10.html

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I removed the two plugins from the ignition switch to the under dash fuse box, so basically eliminating the ignition switch and I still am pulling 11 amps at the battery. Ignition switch starts car. It's got to be something else.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any other suggestions?
The ignition switch does much more than just "start the car". It supplies power to virtually all the vehicles electrical systems.
11 amps is a significant draw. In fact in 9 years of servicing only Honda vehicles I have never seen a draw of that magnitude. Are you sure you are reading his correctly?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, but if I disconnected the switch entirely for the electrical system (there is only those two modules that plug into the under dash box from the ignition switch) and the battery is still pulling 11 amps how can it be the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The meter, when touching the negative battery lead removed and the negative battery terminal, registers 11 amps. Battery will completely drain over night.

If you've got all connections from the ignition switch to the fuse box then it's not that. Is there any aftermarket equipment installed such as radio or remote start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, stock car.

thanks. give me a few.