HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

The fuse for the taillights keeps blowing everytime I put a

Customer Question

the fuse for the taillights keeps blowing everytime I put a new one in. I have head lights, brake lights, signal lights, just no running lights.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

have your tried unplugging the taillights one at the time and see if that will stop the fuse from blowing ?

look at the connectors for evidence of melting,burned spot or backed out pins ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not tried one at at time but shouldn't the continuity test prove wire is solid? I tested the socket back to the connector as well. Could it be the brake/tail light sensor and is there a way to test that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just disconnected the 3 tail lights and put a new fuse in. as soon as I turned the key on the fuse blew. so its not in the tail lights itself. is there something under the front ferring that I should be testing?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did continuity test from fuse to pins that plug into brake/tail light sensor and it checked out okay. could it be in the little fuse box (panel) itself?

ok that rules out the tail lights , how about the fuse box socket where you are inserting the fuse can you look at the back of it where the wires coming in any wires touching each other

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just pulled the connector from the fuse box and all pins look good. If the problem was in my fuse box then you would think that there would be problems with the head light, brake lights of signals? Can the Sensor screw up just on call it one side so that it was just faulting the running lights (tail lights)?

yes that is possible , unfortunately on 1984 model not a lot of info is provided to me as far wiring diagram for it , i m looking cant find much on it , to send you for testing

Chad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if continuity checks ok on the brown wires to tail lights, should I check the greens.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I put a jumper wire from the fuse box straight to the tail light pins and skip over the sensor to see if tail lights come on and then that way we would know if it is the sensor?

yes to test it is okay, but offcourse you cant keep running this way, because eventually that wire will get hot

please let me know if that will work, good idea, sorry for the delay , it is not instant reply plus, it happened that i m travelong and my internet coverage is going in & out

I apologize for that , but i will reply back to you asap

Chad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ran wire from where fuse would normally be inserted, directly to the browns on the other side of the sensor and blew something else and now I don't have any power to bike at all! I did get some other answers while I was fooling around. when I had all the rear lights disconnected including the sensor I turned key on and even started the bike and the brake/tail light warning light on dash was out (not on)? now I have to figure out what blew because I could at least ride it with out tail lights during the day light hours!

lol, i m sorry man, it was a good test , but we blew some else . but you can ride it now , i guess that is a small improvement .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can't ride it now. blew something else trying to by pass sensor now I have no power to anything. can't start to ride! worse than it was!

stop running wires , it will need that wiring diagram for it, i m going to try to find it for you .

i will let you know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I won't do that again. I looked a little further into it and I burnt through the main fuse right beside the battery. I replaced and the bike is at least back to where it was with head light, turning signals, brake lights but now driving at night with no tail lights (marker lights, daytime running lights) what ever you may call them.

ok sounds good, i will let you know by monday, a friend of mine has a bike shop and specialize in older model honda, i want ask him see what he thinks and see if he has any wiring diagrams for it

Chad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cant help thinking its this Brake/Tail light sensor that must still work for brake lights but not tail lights. Its a 7 pin Sensor.

not unusual part of the sensor is bad for the tail lights but not the brake light .